URGENT: STOP NEW YORK CITY FROM BANNING E-CIGS!!
As a VOLCANO Fine Electronic Cigarettes adult consumer, we try to not overfill your email inbox with messages. However, we knew you would be interested in the proposed ban on use of e-cigarettes in New York City and hope you would oppose the ban by helping educate your City Council member about e-cigarettes.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg and several members of the New York City Council plan to quickly pass an ordinance that would ban e-cigarette use in both indoor and outdoors locations. Essentially, you would be once again treated like a smoker and forced to vacate anyplace where smoking traditional cigarettes is banned. We believe this goes too far and there is no credible justification for this new law. It also might encourage many vapers to simply take up smoking again, which is clearly not good for the health of the people they serve
Supporters of the ban are hoping to have the full Council vote on this ordinance at their meeting on Thursday, December 19th at 1:30 PM at City Hall (260 Broadway), when most New Yorkers are distracted by the winter holidays. That is why it is critically important that you contact the New York City Council Members by email, by phone, and (if possible) in person. Please share this message with anyone who might share your interest in opposing this e-cigarette ban.
New York City Residents:
We are requesting that you take three steps:
(1) Most importantly, please contact your own representative on the New York City Council by phone or e-mail. Phone calls are especially encouraged, and be sure to note that you live in their district. You can find the contact information for your council member here - http://council.nyc.gov/html/members/members.shtml
(2) Contact the entire City Council to express your opposition. At the bottom of this message is a list of all the New York City Council members. Please send an e-mail to the members. If you have time, please call the offices of the City Council members from your borough and let them know that you would like them not to support the e-cigarette usage ordinance.
(3) Next week there will be at least one opportunity for vapers in New York City to meet up and show solidarity against this ban. These events will likely take place on Wednesday, December 18th or Thursday, December 19th and will be announced at the beginning of the week. For the most up-to-date details, please see e-cigarette consumer group CASAA's Call to Action -- http://blog.casaa.org/2013/11/call-to-action-new-york-city-e.html
Remember, the most important step you can take is contacting your own City Council person (see item #1 above).
NYC and Nearby Residents:
What to Say When Contacting Members of the New York City Council
1. Be RESPECTFUL but firm and let them know you ask them to OPPOSE the proposed ordinance to define "smoking" to include use of smoke-free electronic cigarettes.
2. Tell your personal story on how switching to an e-cigarette has changed your life or the life of someone you love.
3. Explain how smoking bans are enacted to protect the public from the harm of secondhand smoke, but that there is currently no credible scientific basis demonstrating that e-cigarettes cause harm to bystanders.
4. Inform them that the ability to use electronic cigarettes in public spaces may actually improve awareness of the alternatives to deadly combustible cigarettes.
5. If the convenience of not being forced to the curb was a motivator in your own decision to switch, be sure to highlight this.
6. Passage of this ban would force you back outside to breathe in secondhand smoke in designated smoking areas. If you don't want to be exposed to secondhand smoke, or worry that sitting in the outdoor smoking section may tempt you to return to smoking, it is imperative you make that known.
Please Ask the Members of the New York City Council to OPPOSE the E-Cigarette Usage Ordinance
While e-mails are easier, phone calls will have a larger impact, even if you are simply leaving a message after hours.
Please note that some of the below legislators do not have e-mail addresses publicly available. Calls to the offices of these legislators are needed.
Comma delimited email list:
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
BROOKLYN COUNCIL MEMBERS
Margaret Chin (D) [District 1]
Rosie Mendez (D) [District 2]
Christine C. Quinn (D) [District 3]
Daniel R. Garodnick (D) [District 4]
Jessica S. Lappin (D) [District 5]
Gale A. Brewer (D) [District 6]
Robert Jackson (D) [District 7]
Melissa Mark-Viverito (D) [District 8]
Inez Dickens (D) [District 9]
Ydanis Rodriguez (D) [District 10]
Oliver Koppell (D) [District 11]
Andy King (D) [District 12]
James Vacca (D) [District 13]
Fernando Cabrera (D) [District 14]
Joel Rivera (D) [District 15]
Vanessa L. Gibson [District 16]
Maria del Carmen Arroyo (D) [District 17]
BRONX COUNCIL MEMBERS
Annabel Palma (D) [District 18]
Daniel Halloran (R), (C), (I), (L) [District 19]
Peter Koo (D) [District 20]
Julissa Ferreras (D) [District 21]
Peter F. Vallone Jr. (D) [District 22]
Mark S. Weprin (D) [District 23]
James F. Gennaro (D) [District 24]
Daniel Dromm (D) [District 25]
MANHATTAN COUNCIL MEMBERS
Jimmy Van Bramer (D) [District 26]
Leroy Comrie (D) [District 27]
Ruben Wills (D) [District 28]
Karen Koslowitz (D) [District 29]
Elizabeth Crowley (D) [District 30]
Donovan Richards Jr [District 31]
Eric Ulrich (R) [District 32]
Stephen Levin (D) [District 33]
Diana Reyna (D) [District 34]
Letitia James [District 35]
QUEENS COUNCIL MEMBERS
Albert Vann (D) [District 36]
Erik Martin Dilan (D) [District 37]
Sara M. González (D) [District 38]
Brad Landers (D) [District 39]
Mathieu Eugene (D) [District 40]
Darlene Mealy (D) [District 41]
Charles Barron (D) [District 42]
Vincent J. Gentile (D) [District 43]
David G. Greenfield (D) [District 44]
Jumaane D. Williams (D) [District 45]
Lew Fidler (D) [District 46]
Domenic M. Recchia, Jr. (D) [District 47]
Michael Nelson (D) [District 48]
STATEN ISLAND COUNCIL MEMBERS
Deborah Rose (D) [District 49]
James S. Oddo (R) [District 50]
Vincent Ignizio (R) [District 51]