It is currently Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:35 pm

Beginner Info - yes, we were all there too!

Share your knowledge! No questions in this section please.

Beginner Info - yes, we were all there too!

Postby Arclight » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Hey all!

I wanted to start a thread where we can add some tips to those who join our community right when they get their kits and have lots-o-questions

First off....Welcome to Vaping!!

Like most of us, you probably ended up here because you are wanting to rid yourself of the analog cigarette monkey that sits on your back. Us too! And, you probably came about Volcano thru a referral from a friend or through internet research and discovered what a great value Volcano is! (All things being equal, it is about the best value out there). You will not be disappointed! These things work, and work well. However, there is a little bit of a learning curve and it does take a little more effort than opening that pack of smokes and blazing one up. Trust me, ask the other here, it is worth the extra effort!

Volcano - You won't find a better supplier out there. They are best of class when it comes to customer service and listening to their customers! They are fast in way of shipping your items (3-4 days to most of the continental US), and VERY reasonably priced! (especially now, with some of the specials going on!)

Your Kit - Read your instructions through first!
Most of the kits consist of one or more of the following:
    Battery - this looks like the tobacco tube of a cigarette. It has a clear plastic end that holds the amber LED and threads on the other end. The threads is where you screw in your atomizer. (Vape slang for atomizer is 'atty')

Your battery will come to you with about a 40% charge. Good enough to test it out, but it will need to be charged shortly thereafter. You will be able to tell when the battery is in need of charging, when the LED flashes multiple times
    V-Pack - This is the cool looking plastic case that holds your e-cigs (or Personal Vaporizers, 'PV' as some people call them). When you open the V-Pack, you will see that you can store 5 cartridges in the first 5 holes starting from the left side. The second hole from the right is your battery charger. Your battery will screw in here (threads down). The LED on your battery will blink 3 times one the connection is made. You will know that your battery is charging by the Red light on the left side of your V-Pack. When the light goes off, your battery is ready. The right most hole will hold a fully assembled ecig. Be careful to insert your ecig battery side down in this hole. Otherwise you run the risk of getting a cartridge stuck inside the V-Pack.

On the bottom of the V-Pack in the USB charging cord connector. This is to charge the Lithium Ion battery that is in your V-Pack. You should be able to get about 4 fully charged batteries out of the V-Pack before it will need to be charged as well. Connect the cord to the V-Pack and plug the USB end of the cord into your computers' USB port, or connect it to the USB port on the wall charger. You will see the actual USB plug end lights up with an orange LED. When it is lit, your V-Pack is charging, when it is off, your V-Pack is charged.
**The new 2.0 VPacks come with a built in LCD screen which shows the total charge in the Vpack itself.**

Atomizer - This is a small cylindrical, metal piece that comes individually wrapped in your kit. It is pretty small so keep an eye out for it. One end of the atty has threads on it, this is where it screws into the battery. The other end is called the 'bridge'. This is 2 flat pieces of metal, covered with a wire mesh. Under that is the heating element.

Attys need to be broken in, so for the first couple days, your vapor production will not be as good as it will be down the road. You also might have an odd taste to the carts for the first couple. This is normal as well, as it is the residual coating on the atty burning off. (my attys work 100 times better now after almost 4 weeks than when I first got them.)

If your atty looks like the wire mesh is coming off of the bridge, contact Volcano and they will help you get a replacement. This happened to a couple of mine, and Volcano was awesome in exchanging them for me.

Catridges - These are where your nicotine is! Each cartridge consists of (3) parts. The mouthpiece is the only part you see, and it slides over the atomizer. Inside the mouthpiece there is an inner cartridge. On the stock carts from Volcano, that inner cartridge is covered with a layer of foil, and a layer of plastic. Your atomizer will puncture this when you put it on. (The foil and the plastic can be removed as sometimes it will hinder your atty from reaching and wicking the ejuice properly) The inner cartridge if filled with ejuice (flavoring, Propolyne Glycol, and water) and a poly fil stuffing.

The stock carts all have good flavor and will produce good vapor for you. The only problem with them is that the poly fil material inside will get pushed down to the bottom of the inner cart and thus, lose contact with the atty and stop wicking the juice. You will notice this when flavor and vapor drop off sharply and it makes it seem like it is time to change the cart.

YOU WILL CHEW THROUGH A FAIR NUMBER OF CARTS TO START OUT WITH....As, Thelvyn (our resident guru) points out in another thread, it is like a right of passage, to blow through a few cart when you first start. ;) Keep the faith, you will get better at it, your vapor will improve and the whole experience gets better with time (like a fine wine, I do believe). If you plan on refilling your own carts at some point, save your dead ones. They can be rinsed and reused. Please check out Thelvyn's reviews and instructional vids.....Very helpful!!

There is a good thread in this forum called 'Improve your Vape'. Good info in there on how to get more from your ecig. It is a good read, and highly suggested.

Couple of notes:

1.) The first week or so can be frustrating. It was at times for me and my lady as we learned and un-learned. Like I mentioned, it does get better and it gets easier and it gets fun! I am like a mad scientist now with refilling my carts, mixing juices and keeping the UPS man busy making stops at my house!
    2.) Your second order from Volcano should be for extra attys and an extra battery (if your kit came with one). Attys will die so you will need to have replacements on hand. With 2 or more batteries you can always have one charging and one in use so you dont have to go without. Usually, because we are all former smokers, if we cant get our nic from the ecigs, then we will look for the next easiest thing....an analog cigarette. I keep multiple batteries charged and ready because of this, and I dont want to smoke analog cigarettes any more.
    3.) Get in here and ask questions! You will have them and someone here might have the answer you need! The Volcano team is very active on the forums here as well and they are awesome about helping you out! Remember, we are all in the same boat!

mmmmm.....think that is it for now. :)

Vape on!!
Last edited by Arclight on Thu May 27, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arclight
Volcano Legend

Re: Beginner Info - yes, we were all there too!

Postby Arclight » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:52 pm

Also, from my personal experience...

1.) For about the first week or so, vaping really dried my mouth out. Seems my body has adjusted now, and it is not too noticeable. (Usually only with straight menthol carts or juices can I notice it a bit) Keep a glass of water nearby.

2.) If you are refilling your own carts....fill it to just before it really pools on the top. If you try to squeeze in that last drop (like I always do), you will end up with juice in your mouth. And that, usually does not taste too good. :D

3.) Most of the supplies that everyone has listed here in the forums can be gotten very inexpensively. Plugs for carts - couple bucks, PTBs - $3.20 for 20, contact case for dipping - $3.50, etc., etc.

4.) Vaping in public - Always ask if it is ok to do so, and be ready to answer lots-o-questions! :D The trick is to not have it grouped into the same stereotype as smoking, as it is not.
Last edited by Arclight on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arclight
Volcano Legend

Postby Thelvyn » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:20 pm

I demand my name be changed from guru to 'all powerful and mighty master of the universe and the multiverse'

It just rolls off the tongue. :D

Happy to help any new or old vapers with questions and problems, so never be afraid to ask a question. If you don't ask, you'll never learn.

Happy vaping.
-Pyroclastic Ash
Thelvyn
Volcano God

Postby Arclight » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:49 am

Thelvyn wrote:I demand my name be changed from guru to 'all powerful and mighty master of the universe and the multiverse'

LOL! Maybe we can make that your forum title?

*edited my reserved post above with more info*
Arclight
Volcano Legend

Postby Johnny Lava » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:37 am

Fantastic Job arclight :D
Johnny Lava
Volcano God

Postby Thelvyn » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:52 am

arclight wrote:
Thelvyn wrote:I demand my name be changed from guru to 'all powerful and mighty master of the universe and the multiverse'

LOL! Maybe we can make that your forum title?

*edited my reserved post above with more info*

Ooooo, good idea!
You shall all listen to the All Powerful and Mighty Master of the Universe and the Multiverse!
-Pyroclastic Ash
Thelvyn
Volcano God

Postby Arclight » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:49 pm

Bump this for the new members and to add more stuff ;)
Arclight
Volcano Legend

Postby KauaiNick808 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:11 pm

i just ordered 50ml total from eliquidplanet.com i got RY4, almond, melon, kiwi and strawberry. i figure this way i can quit hookah and cigs at the same time. and i was wondering if there are any how to videos or threads that can show me how to fill my blanks
KauaiNick808
Volcano Menehune

Postby Pyroclastic Ash » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:18 pm

KauaiNick808 wrote:i just ordered 50ml total from eliquidplanet.com i got RY4, almond, melon, kiwi and strawberry. i figure this way i can quit hookah and cigs at the same time. and i was wondering if there are any how to videos or threads that can show me how to fill my blanks

I'll get to work on one as soon as I can.

It's not to hard, you just use a paperclip.
Unbend it, and push it through the small hole on the cartridge(where you put your mouth)
That will bring the inner cartridge up to the bigger hole where the atomizer pushes into.

Remove that small clear plastic inner cartridge and fill it with juice until it is full.
It's full when it starts pooling at the top of the cartridge, when that happens you use a paper towel to dab at it until it is no longer pooled, put the inner cartridge back into the big hole of the cartridge and push it down to the bottom.
Make sure that the inner cartridge's opening is facing up, or you will have a big mess.

That's a quick run through of it, if you check out the last part of the Pyramid Teabag mod video, you will see a cartridge being filled and put back into the outer cartridge.
Pyroclastic Ash
Volcano Legend

Postby KauaiNick808 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:31 pm

thanks a bunch the video helped alot. how long should the 50ml of liquid last ? i go through 3-5 carts a day with my piece of junk blu (cant wait for the volcano to get here)
KauaiNick808
Volcano Menehune

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks