It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:42 am

Burnt Taste with New Inferno Tank

Ask Artist Boy and the community.

Re: Burnt Taste with New Inferno Tank

Postby tylerjoshuad » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:27 pm

BCT Issues

I've read through this thread and several others regarding the burnt taste with the BCT tank... I'm wondering if I have a bigger issue now.

I got my BCT yesterday. It was fine for about 24 hours and I started to get the burnt taste with every hit. Desperate, I have tried everything that I've come across to clean the head and the coils.

So far, this is what I've tried...

Tonight I first started by taking the tank off the battery and blowing onto the head to "dry burn" it as others have suggested. I did this until the vapor stopped. I noticed the head was pretty hot after about 20 or 30 cycles of doing this, but the vapor wasn't coming out anymore so I thought it was okay.

I screwed the tank back on to the head/base, did a few dry pulls, and I noticed some air bubbles inside the tank. I have also tried blowing into the tube to clear any air bubbles that might be blocking flow to the heating coil. Same result: the first few hits were somewhat normal, but then I get the burnt taste again.

I came back to the forum a few hours ago and saw someone post about actually cleaning the head under running water. So I unscrewed the tiny head piece and ran it under cold water for a few seconds. I blew on it several times and dried it with a towel, then put it back on the battery and dry burned again. This time, I saw a very minimal amount of vapor come out, and a very bad burnt taste-- that didn't seem good. After cleaning the head I filled the tank back up with liquid, did a few dry pulls, blew into the tank very lightly and immediately got a burnt hit.

Was cleaning the head a bad idea? Is it possible that my heating coil is ruined since I'm constantly getting the burnt taste?

I really hope the coil isn't ruined because I have not had it more than 24 hours, and I hope it isn't something that has to be cleaned every day.........I never had to mess with the tube tank this way :thumbdown:
tylerjoshuad
Volcano Menehune

Postby wvmedic » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:28 am

I changed my coil three days ago and it has worked flawlessly. I would venture to guess there was a flaw with the first coil, that doesn't make me warm and fuzzy. But if I continue to have no problems then I will be satisfied, it's not uncommon to get a bad part every once in a while. Just so long as it isn't a common issue.

Jeff
wvmedic
Volcano Menehune

Postby JSmith926 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:47 am

it shouldnt be ruined... dry burning the head of a BCT or any clearomizer style head is how I clean them, this method has been discussed countless times on this forum and on the ECF... they do not have a cotton filler to hold onto a burnt taste, on a cartomizer if you burn the filler you can not get rid of the burnt taste so it will not work on those but on a coil / silica head that is the only way to clean them, my guess there is still contaminates or buildup from your juice on there. the vapor will stop when the juice has burned off but there can still be contaminates or buildup on the coils... keep dry burning and letting cool until the coil looks new again... if you notice the head or battery getting hot take a break let them cool.

FYI it is not advised by volcano to run the head under water, but it has worked for me well in the past.
Las Vegas location Manager
JSmith926
Las Vegas NV Manager

Postby tylerjoshuad » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:08 pm

JSmith926, and wvmedic

Thanks so much for the advice. After posting my long story last night I went back and ran the head under water a little longer this time with more water pressure and noticed a pretty significant improvement..

Still occasionally getting burnt hits, but I have seem to found a fix to that by taking a few primer hits before each puff. And the vapor is NOTHING near what it was when I first fired this bad boy up. I would hear loud cracks and pops and I would get EXCELLENT vapor. Now, I just hear a little sizzling. There is flavor to the liquid, but the vapor doesn't pack a punch.

... keep dry burning and letting cool until the coil looks new again...

Also, what did you mean by looks new again? I was trying to look inside the little holes on the head and noticed I saw something white in there. It didn't look dirty. Could it really have gotten this dirty after only 24 hours of use?

Thanks again for the advice and speedy responses
tylerjoshuad
Volcano Menehune

Postby JSmith926 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:33 pm

it is possible that it could be getting clogged, some juices will cause a build up faster than others...
Las Vegas location Manager
JSmith926
Las Vegas NV Manager

Postby tylerjoshuad » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:25 pm

I was thinking the same thing--that possibly the viscosity of my juice was too high or something and clogging the coils.

I'm not using volcano juice, but a local juice called "NicVape" from a local vapor lounge store. I have been looking around but can't find the pg/vg ratio of the liquid. I will see if the guy at the vapor store knows the specifics of my liquid.

Maybe this could be the issue with others getting a burnt taste? I'd be interested to know what the pg/vg ratio is with people who are not getting very good vapor production and burnt hits after trying all the typical troubleshooting steps.

Is there a 'magic ratio' for the juice that works best in these tanks? I am assuming a higher PG percentage is better? What is the pg/vg ratio for volcano juices?
tylerjoshuad
Volcano Menehune

Postby Artist Boy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:13 pm

Volcano's juices are 70/30

I have talked to people using juices anywhere between 50/50 and 100%pg and they are having pretty good luck even with the higher vg juices.
"Relinquite omnem turbatio, vos qui intratis"
Artist Boy
Forum Admin

Postby tylerjoshuad » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:46 pm

Okay. I'm thinking my juice might be similar to the Volcano juice ratio. I guess I will have to do some experimenting with the tank to see what juice works best.

I've noticed the burnt taste going away since I've learned the ins and outs of this set up, but still not as much vapor as when it arrived in the mail two days ago. That first day was AWESOME! :thumbup: Also, I found taking longer and stronger draws *after* priming improves vapor thickness and flavor, similar to the old TubeTank setup

I'm actually looking forward to a month from now so I can change the head to get the awesome vapor and the sweet crackle and pop again ! Lol

P.S- how do you get the picture at the bottom of your post that shows how much money you saved and what your preferred vaping device is? I really just want to know how much money I've saved!! :-)
tylerjoshuad
Volcano Menehune

Postby Artist Boy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:51 pm

"Relinquite omnem turbatio, vos qui intratis"
Artist Boy
Forum Admin

Postby Stevebunk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 pm

I keep my equipment INCREDIBLY clean and am borderline anal retentive about it. I love the new BCT but I change the heating element (buy the expensive three packs) and usually only one actually works well. I can't deal with the waste as I'll put one on and it's DISGUSTING with burnt taste...I blow in, a bubble plops out and it gets better for a hit or two.

Took it to the store and they did something because only one side was getting liquid? Now I've got another bad one and no replacements...

I'm just wondering if there's a way to fix a bad head/why I get so many bad ones in my packs? I KNOW i'm doing everything right but to no avail!

It's the worst feeling when you change one out, throw out the old one, put on a new, prime, get ready, and taste burnt socks.

WOrk alllll day tomorrow and this is what I'll deal with? HELP!!!
Stevebunk
Volcano Menehune

PreviousNext

Return to General and Technical Questions