It is currently Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Carto Modding

Share your knowledge! No questions in this section please.

Carto Modding

Postby hacklerjason » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:36 pm

i apologize to the forum admin as i did not see a listed mod section. i am interested in modding and have one to open with. please feel free to move this thread as you see fit.
Devices:
1) Inferno 2) LavaTube v1.0 3) Provari v2
Accessories:
1)4ml Tube Tank 2) 7ml Tube Tank 3) Phiniac Sand Blasted Tank 4) Totally Wicked 6ml Tank
hacklerjason
Volcano Menehune

Re: Carto Modding

Postby Artist Boy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:56 pm

this would be the right section for posting your mod.
"Relinquite omnem turbatio, vos qui intratis"
Artist Boy
Forum Admin

Postby hacklerjason » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:10 pm

i have tried a couple methods already but i prefer drilling to slotting or punching... it allows me to open the hole up without a dent, or the abrasive dust that slotting leaves behind... i open up the 1mm standard punched hole up to 1/16 in which turns out to be about 1.45mm, measuring the drill bits in calipers. must take caution to not drill fast and not put too much pressure... the bit will go through the hole fairly easily and wind up you poly inside of the cart, rendering it useless... the drill should be spinning ONLY fast enough to barely overcome the stopping force of the cutting edge of the tip. for a given pressure(which should be very light) the speed should only be just barely moving. if you move too fast it will go through before you know it and when the bit comes out it will pull your poly with it. you should move very slow to be aware of the instance it goes through. this process will leave burrs around the opening of your hole... this is for sure to tear up your bottom orings. to fix this you then take an 11/64th bit and load it into your drill... this part isnt as precision as the previous step as you are only cleaning up from the last step. you rest the tip of the bit directly in the center if the hole. pull the trigger on the drill anywhere from 0.5-1.0 seconds. this will clean up the burrs left behind from opening the hole. my drill has a max no-load speed of 600rpm. if you have a drill of similar speed, it can just be a full press of the trigger whereas if it has a faster no load speed, you will have to feather it... if done properly, you should be able to run your finger over the hole and not feel any sharp edges. and since the hole is now beveled, the oring will slide over it very nicely. i have been using this style of carto for two days now and have done away with having to take priming puffs and my stick has been ready when i was, every single time and no need priming puffs... mind you im not hogging the hole wayyy out, just opening a bit more to aid in heavy usage of the same juices i get from volcano... usually if im using heavily, i need primer puffs more often when i go on vaping fits... likewise, if you wish to consume heavier juices with the same quantity of consumption i imagine that would work as well... i may soon experiment with this...
also... if you wish to try out bigger that 1.45mm holes you can feel free to try but be carful going larger, you may get flooding... i have not flooded with this size and i will continue to try other sizes and post the results as i perform those tests...
lastly... i would recommend this style of drills bit for this reason... the carts are made from stainless which has a higher rockwell hardness than standard steel, and the recommended bit for cutting this is cobalt... HOWEVER... i do not advise using cobalt bits as they will take away from of the tactile feel of drilling the hole out... i recommend the standard HSS (High Speed Steel) bits you can find anywhere. maybe after cutting about 15-20 carts you will need to sharpen or replace the bit, but if i can cut 20 carts on one bit that costs 3 bucks, that would be cheaper than replacing 20 carts that cost 2.69 a piece tying to save money on the bit... you will not feel the polyfil getting wound up and you likely wont even notice until you get done beveling and can see better in the carto through the hole... i ruined 5 carts perfecting the above method... one of those five i didnt even notice it was ruind until i tried to used it... it primed ok, it filled ok... but when i used it, it would not stay wicked due to the balling up of the poly at the bottom and the juice couldnt get past that... i have to open and inspect to find that...
the end result of a properly drilled and beveled hole is amazing!
PICTURES UPON REQUEST
Devices:
Accessories:
1)4ml Tube Tank 2) 7ml Tube Tank 3) Phiniac Sand Blasted Tank 4) Totally Wicked 6ml Tank
hacklerjason
Volcano Menehune

Postby SPYDERVAPE » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Yes I'd like to see some pictures please
Only the dead have seen the end of war.
SPYDERVAPE
Volcano Menehune

Postby hacklerjason » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:45 am

Will do... I'm at work so when I get home I will take pictures... I machined all the carts I have so to show size ref I will have to pickup some more but for the time being ill use a milimeter scale

SPYDERVAPE wrote:Yes I'd like to see some pictures please
Devices:
Accessories:
hacklerjason
Volcano Menehune

Postby Syngen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:33 pm

I am so very afraid of taking power tools to my kit. I'll admit it.
Syngen
Volcano God

Postby hacklerjason » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:33 pm

SPYDERVAPE
i apologize as i have not gotten around to pulling my camera out of the pile of junks... i hadnt forgotten and i will get those up here tomorrow i promise...

Syngen
i felt that way about my first few carts... it was exacerbated by the fact that i messed up my first 5 carts. but upon messing up my final cart i had found a flawless method to this. the whole thing started from being an ex- smoker. my cigarette never treated me this way... i light it and that thing could take all the abuse i threw at it. i could puff and puff and puff with 100% consistency. but with the e cig conversion i changed to, i found it difficult to get the hang of it. by no means am i pro of any kind, but i find that the more money i spend on to the this, the less i want to continue spending on things other than juice and unnecessary things resulting from improper use. i found initially that i could vape great for 2-3 minutes straight with no issue. after that the quality would fall off. i couldnt keep it wicked when i went of chain vaping fits. i experimented with taking different types and lengths of pulls on it... very little improvement. i read probably close to about 50 different ways to punch holes or slot the carts, but didnt like any of them. they all involved a plumbing fitting called a saddle valve, a nail and hammer, or a dremmel or other cutting tool. the problem i had with punching with the saddle valve or nail and hammer, was that those methods would leave a dent in the cart, best case scenario if properly done. and slotting would leave behind abrasive dust or metal slivers depending on the method. like cutting wheels would leave the abrasive dust if an abrasive disk was used or metal slivers from using metal blades or cutting wheels. that said, none of those methods worked for me to even think of trying. i thought to open up the existing hole just a bit. i didnt have lots of problems with it... if i would let it cool down and rest between puffs it would be fine. but it wouldnt support chain vaping for me very well. so i opened the hole up to 1.45mm as opposed to the prepunched 1.0mm... two days later, it still works like a charm. i wouldnt be afraid to take a drill to mine ever again... i got the feel for it and i wont like, that will cost you a cart or two but to me it was well worth the 2.69 each for five of them. each one will now last me longer since i wont be burning them as easy. it stays ready for me when i am and i can chain vape... i dont know about stressing the battery out though, that is my only remaining fear about chain vaping... i have heard the stories but from what i understand, those people were using either homemade type rigs or modified batteries... i have no intent to mod my battery of home make a rig... this works for me...
Devices:
Accessories:
hacklerjason
Volcano Menehune

Postby hacklerjason » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:33 pm

as promised here is the side by side photo comparison. i apologize for the huge delay but i had some last minute work stuff come up. i got sent out to a neighbor island to help out another shop. i got back this afternoon and went straight to the volcano shop and picked up some new carts so i could do the mod and take a side by side. here they are side by side. the one on the left is the stock 1mm hole. the one on the right is the bored out and beveled 1.45mm hole. enjoy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Devices:
Accessories:
hacklerjason
Volcano Menehune

Postby hacklerjason » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:39 pm

UPDATE:
as it turns out that something in my last equation of sizing didnt add up so i checked it again... the drill bit initially used was a 1/16 as indicated on the drill index. however, in the calipers it only came up to be about 1.45mm but doing the mathematical conversion it should be listed 1.5875mm...

any how

i stepped up to another size larger and i had to retool to get better results. at the time of OP i said to use HSS bits as you could go through quite a few carts before having to sharpen. well i have seen the life of that bit, two in fact. as it turns out HHS isnt hard enough to reliably cut through stainless that is so thin. the problem with this application is that there are very sensitive materials just on the other side of the cart wall and if you punch through too fast you will likely wind up your filler into a cute little ball... and the trick to drilling stainless with HSS bits is harder pressure... anyways... i make the correction, for this application you should be using cobalt bits. they cut stainless the same way HSS would cut steel, but not stainless...

the size i am using currently is 5/64 which, mathematically of course, is 1.984375mm... very close to 2mm so almost double what the factory punched hole is. i am not going to size up any further as this is the perfect size for me. the problem i had with fillers running dry and burning up my carts was almost eliminated with the first overbore but not fully. i have reached the size where my problem no longer exists. im not going to go any bigger because i fear i may run into flooding problems. after one whole week using the same cart i can say its not flooding and i havent had the drying out problem.
Devices:
Accessories:
hacklerjason
Volcano Menehune

Postby wiscylinux » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:50 am

If having a larger hole in the carto acheives better results then why hasnt Volcano manufatured them with bigger holes yet?
wiscylinux
Volcano Menehune

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks