It is currently Sat May 23, 2015 1:18 am

Hawaii Call to Action {WE WON!!!!}

A place to find and post alerts about events that need the communities help.

Hawaii Call to Action {WE WON!!!!}

Postby Artist Boy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Aloha everyone,

As you may have already heard, The Hawaii state legislature put forth a bill today (HB2557 - http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_i ... umber=2557) and SB2819- http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_i ... umber=2819 to ban electronic cigarette sales to minors and to classify electronic cigarettes and its accessories as "tobacco products" therefore subjecting the sale of these devices to a 70% tobacco product state tax. As you might imagine we strongly support any measure that would ban the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors and have already enacted company-wide policies to make sure that we are not putting these devices in the hands of minors. However, the bill has many unintended consequences that endangers both the supplier and user of electronic cigarettes in Hawaii and we are writing to you today to ask for your help in defeating this flawed measure.

If the state were to approve this bill as it stands and sign it into law, every component of an electronic cigarette that is sold in the state of Hawaii would be taxed at 70% of the wholesale price regardless of whether or not the product includes nicotine/tobacco. This includes atomizers, batteries, charging components, drip tips etc... This would effectively drive up the retail cost for an electronic cigarette and its accessories for consumers making the product more expensive than that of a traditional tobacco cigarette.

Rather than conducting the necessary research to create a specific classification of the product and applying a fair tax policy for it, our legislature is merely attempting to classify the product as tobacco and apply the egregious tax rates that are applied to those products.

Levying this hefty of a tax on the product would virtually wipe out any local vendors including Volcanoecigs as they would not be able to compete with their out-of-state and international counterparts that are not subject to this unfair tax. Customers would then be forced to buy their products from vendors out-of-state on the internet, or put down their ecigs and return to smoking again. Any and all local vendors would either be forced to relocate their operations to another state or face closure due to the competitive disadvantage that would be placed on them.

Volcanoecigs has grown into the largest vendor here in the islands employing over 40 full time employees at 6 different locations and our ability to continue supplying local vapers is in serious jeopardy if this measure is signed in to law. We humbly ask that you show your support for Volcano and electronic cigarettes in general and contact your state house and senate representatives and let your voice be heard. We have already contacted every single house and senate representative and provided them with an official statement from Volcano and hope that with your support, we can force our legislators to take a look at the harm this bill would do not only for us, but also for all local vapers.

We strongly encourage you to tell your representatives what this bill would mean for you. How has vaping affected your life? How would a 70% increase in the cost of vaping supplies affect you? Would this force you and customers to start smoking again?

We have provided links below to the bill and the Hawaii State Legislature's website where you can find information about the bill and contact information for your local representatives.

The HB2557 bill page is here:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_i ... umber=2557

*Please note that a testimony can not be submitted on this page until a hearing is officially scheduled. For now we request that you contact your representative directly before a hearing is assigned to oppose the hearing, therefore stalling the bill.

The bill is currently assigned to the House Committee on Finance and the House Committee on Health and is being reviewed by Mr. Ryan L. Yamane, Chair of the Health Committee, to determine if this bill warrants a hearing. You can find contact information for all the representatives that sit on these committees by going here:

House: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/committee ... ?chamber=H
Sentate: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/members/l ... ?chamber=S

To find your representative and their contact information go here:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/members/l ... ?chamber=H

The state tax provisions which would levy a 70% tax on electronic cigarettes should they be classified as "Tobacco Products" can be found here:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurren ... 5-0003.htm

We thank you for your support and hope that together we can defeat this bill and continue providing local vapers with the products they've come to use and love locally. Feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns and as always...Happy Vaping!
Mahalo Nui Loa,
"Relinquite omnem turbatio, vos qui intratis"
Artist Boy
Forum Admin

Re: Hawaii Call to Action

Postby banddude007 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:28 pm

Crazy! Is this just applied to products sold in Hawaii, or online sales and retail locations in the Continental US?
I can see how they could possibly justify taxing the ejuice that contains nicotine. That is probably going to happen everywhere, eventually. But batteries? How can you put a sin tax on a battery? You don't see crippling taxes on lighters, ashtrays, etc. that are used in the act of smoking...
I will do all I can to help fight this madness!

Owner of the Volcano Store in Morgantown, WV and the Volcano Kiosk at the Meadowbrook Mall in Bridgeport, WV. Come see us for all your Volcano needs, or just come by to chat and vape a while!
banddude007
Official Licensed Distributor

Postby Artist Boy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:41 pm

Joe says if it does pass it will not effect online sales. And the way it is worded now it is a going after all Ecig gear, which will kill the bill for sure as you cannot tax a USB wall charger 70% because you think it is a tobacco product.
Artist Boy
Forum Admin

Postby banddude007 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:56 pm

Exactly. You're going to charge 70% tax on a battery? On an Inferno Case? Ridiculous!

Owner of the Volcano Store in Morgantown, WV and the Volcano Kiosk at the Meadowbrook Mall in Bridgeport, WV. Come see us for all your Volcano needs, or just come by to chat and vape a while!
banddude007
Official Licensed Distributor

Postby Artist Boy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Complete email list of people to email about this.

Email them asking them not to support this bill. Give them your story about vaping and how they have helped you. Prove to them the 70% tax on them is outrageous and we will not standby and let them do this to us. Remember folks even if you are not in HI this does affect you as well. as this is just the beginning. If this passes it will give the other state a foot hold to follow suit. this is up to us to fight it. Volcano will be at every meeting we can about this and urge anyone i th HI thta can to come to meeting and hearings. write your congress person speak your mind to them on this. If you can, call them as well, even better call and make an appointment to sit down with them and have a face to face. show them what they are trying to take away. a 70% tax increase will put these devices out of the reach of many people. Leaving them forced to either go at it it another way or continue to keep smoking.

HB2557 - RELATING TO SALES OF ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES.

replee@Capitol.hawaii.gov, repmoshiro@Capitol.hawaii.gov, repyamane@Capitol.hawaii.gov, repmorikawa@capitol.hawaii.gov, repchoy@capitol.hawaii.gov, repcullen@capitol.hawaii.gov, rephar@Capitol.hawaii.gov, rephashem@capitol.hawaii.gov, repichiyama@capitol.hawaii.gov, repjordan@Capitol.hawaii.gov, repkawakami@capitol.hawaii.gov, repclee@capitol.hawaii.gov, repmorikawa@capitol.hawaii.gov, reptokioka@Capitol.hawaii.gov, repyamashita@Capitol.hawaii.gov, repmarumoto@Capitol.hawaii.gov, repriviere@capitol.hawaii.gov, repward@Capitol.hawaii.gov, repbelatti@Capitol.hawaii.gov, rephanohano@Capitol.hawaii.gov, repmizuno@Capitol.hawaii.gov, repwooley@capitol.hawaii.gov, repching@Capitol.hawaii.gov, senespero@Capitol.hawaii.gov
Artist Boy
Forum Admin

Postby Artist Boy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:52 pm

make sure you catch both of these bills. I added a the second one a little bit ago.

HB2557 - http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_i ... umber=2557
and
SB2819- http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_i ... umber=2819
Artist Boy
Forum Admin

Postby Artist Boy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Please take a minute and sign this petition to stop this bill to place a 70% ta on ecigs in HI. http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-ha ... d-into-law
Artist Boy
Forum Admin

Postby Tridentine Catholic » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:00 am

My small business uses Volcano Electronic Cigarettes based in Hawaii as a vendor for Electronic Cigarettes and this 70% tax would make them cost prohibitive. In Tennessee many people smoke and the fact that Electronic Cigarettes are cheaper is a good incentive for many Tennesseans to switch to Electronic Cigarettes, let alone the health benefits. This tax would make them more expensive than regular cigarettes for my Tennessee customers. I have sold many brands of Electronic Cigarettes, but now I only carry Volcano Electronic Cigarettes, because I, and my customers have found them to be of the highest quality. As a small business, I can say that this tax would cost jobs, and limit the free market in all 50 states, and is punitive. Why must the Government pick winners and losers? Let the free market work unimpeded. This feels like Nanny-state politics and Big-Tobacco crony politics. The government operates by confiscating wealth through taxes and then redistributing the money, or property to those it seeks favors from to keep the government in power. Also through confiscating wealth through taxes and regulations, it then can through force and manipulation control any behavior it finds unacceptable, because the elite in the government believes they know what is best for a supposedly free people. This is just the latest example of the government stealing our wealth and liberty.
Tridentine Catholic
Volcano Menehune

Postby AndroidFan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:41 pm

Signed the petition, sent emails, then got so pissed off I phoned my rep and let him have an earful. This is just so typical of the moronic ideas that come out of the Big Square Building every time they think they're missing out on an opportunity to tax something.
AndroidFan
Volcano Menehune

Postby Artist Boy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:54 pm

please remember to tell your nonsmoking/vaping friends too. This will affect their clean air if these bills pass... as many will go back to smoking or those who still are will continue to as the extra work vaping is is not worth it if the cost is so high. The price points are part of what helps those make the switch. It may be better than smoking but with the added maintenance and knowledge you kinda need to learn if it cost the same as smoking many would just keep smoking.

Just my 2 cents on it, and some info you can use to help convince others to sign.
Artist Boy
Forum Admin

Next

Return to Call to Actions