It is currently Sat May 23, 2015 2:52 am

Volcano Writing Contest

Contests that come and go really quick.

Re: Volcano Writing Contest

Postby Arclight » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:30 pm

Volcano.....

Wow...where to start. I wish that I had some great life changing story to share, but I don't really. I have been a pack a day smoker for the past 19 yrs. The bad thing about it was that I really, really like smoking. I guess that is where the problem with quitting is. I originally started smoking when I was in college. A bunch of my friends smoked and I never had up 'til that point. I was always in good physical shape, and was into cycling right out of high school. Well the occasional smoke while drinking with the boys, pretty quickly turned into my addiction to nicotine. In the past couple of years, I have tried quitting on 3 different occasions. Once, cold turkey. That lasted for about 10 days or so, at which point I just thought "what the hell, I want to smoke, so I will".

The second time, the lady and I tried Chantix. It worked amazingly well. I did not have any of the associated side affects other than some really odd dreams. The lady had some light depression and the aforementioned dreams. Overall, we thought that we were going to be rid of the our habit for good. Then 3 months into our quitting, the lady's 11 yr old son was diagnosed with Juvenille Diabetes. The kind where you need to get shots 3-4 times a day. Well, of course with a newly added expense of insulin, syringes, test strips, tester units and all that, we quickly ditched our costly Chantix prescriptions. We went back to smoking within a week of stopping the pills.

The last time, was in March of '09 when the state of WI. raised the sin tax on all tobacco products over a $1.00, putting the cost per pack to over $6.00. (They have subsequently raised them again and now most name brands are $6.50-$7.00 per pack) We tried the patch, but met with limited success and I guess we were not really that into it. That lasted about 2 and a half weeks.

Which brought me to the thought of electronic cigarettes. I was researching getting cigs online for the cost savings, when I ran across Bluecigs.com. I was immediately impressed with how they looked and the PPC. I spent the next couple of days (2 days off actually) and did nothing but scour the internet for information on this technology. Blu reviews and cost of other models ultimately led me to Volcano. I am sure that you all can relate to the elation in seeing the quality, presentation on top of reading all the raves about the service. I was hooked before I took my first drag off my volcano. I pressed that checkout button and things have been roses ever since. I could not be happier with Volcano, the product, the team, the service, and the community! I am proud to be associated with all of you!

I have noticed my taste coming back, I can take longer drags and my home and car no longer have the stench of old smoke. I do believe that the ecigs will prolong my life, keep me satisfied in my nic habit, and save me money. I am also happy that I have been able to turn on other to this great product, especially family members! ;) For all of that, I cannot thank you guys enough!

Thanks Team!!! You guys are the best!!
Arclight
Volcano Legend

Postby Viv Savage » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:47 pm

I have already written at length about how electronic cigarettes have had an immediate impact on my life… enabling me to not only quit analogs, but to completely quit nicotine. You can find the whole story here in my Introduction: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=44&start=20#p1565. But as some of you have probably noticed, I’m rarely at a loss for words, and I look forward to elaborating on a more psychological bent, as this whole experience has provided me with a unique insight into my own behavior, dependency, and addiction. In other words, electronic cigarettes have changed my life in a dramatically introspective way… providing a unique level of self-awareness.

When I set out to buy my Volcano... and my zero nicotine cartridges... my plan was to have this amazing crutch to turn to whenever the cravings struck. Even if I stayed off of the cigarettes for months, I knew I would still have to battle all of those scenarios that trigger the desire (as we all do)... going to a bar, going to a party, playing poker, going to a concert, going to Vegas, a stressful situation, or just a cup of coffee... and in those difficult moments, I would then have this electronic cigarette to turn to. But I honestly figured that once I got over the tobacco hump, my Volcano would basically sit in a drawer, and I would just grab it as a "backup" if I went out to any of those aforementioned activities.

Well, I basically vape every day... sometimes only a little... but more often than not, sporadically throughout the day. But never with nicotine. And lately I've been asking myself: Why, after 3 months am I still so into this? I mean, I'm just vaping flavored propylene glycol! At first, I figured it was a man and his new toy... I mean, hey, I'm a dude and we dudes love our gadgets! But after the first month, I was still vaping every day... and reading the forums every day, too. Then I learned about dipping and ordered bottles of all different kinds of flavors of juice... so now it's about trying new flavors! Then, last week, I won a huge new kit from another company... and now I have a whole new e-cig to play with and cartomizers to try! And, if anything, I'm into it way more now than the day I took my first vape.

But, once again, still no nicotine. And I have to confess... it often makes me feel a little like an outsider in electronic cigarette forums. And don't get me wrong, those feelings only come from within myself... I have mentioned that I'm a "zero nicotine vaper" in many of my posts (mainly because I feel this guilty obligation to "confess" to it)... but no one - not one single forum member - has ever commented on it or made me feel like less of a vaper for it. But I guess this strange guilt stems from me feeling like I'm just "playing around" with my vaporizer, while others are using it as a legitimate alternative means to get their nicotine.

Well, all of this guilt changed dramatically recently after reading a posting on a forum from a woman who quit smoking 16 years ago… yet still missed it so much, that she wanted desperately to try vaping… after 16 years of being smoke free! The fact that she still missed the act of smoking so much after 16 years made me feel like my overwhelming desire to continue with this behavior - even without nicotine - is not so abnormal after all. And I don't feel so guilty - or like an oddball - for "hanging around" (virtually, that is) people who are genuinely fulfilling their need for nicotine. And I don't feel as alone anymore.

And I’m still nicotine free.
Viv Savage
Volcano God

Postby Viv Savage » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:01 pm

Well, I thought my first essay was a much more interesting topic to start :ugeek: ... but I also want to say that electronic cigarettes have also changed my life in a much more tangible way as well. I have always been politically vocal, but I have never been politically active. But electronic cigarettes have provided me with the impetus to become an activist of sorts. The California State Legislature's passing of a bill that would ban electronic cigarettes prompted my first calls ever to the offices of elected officials. I called both of my representatives who voted for the bill to express my extreme disappointment in their vote, shared my story, told them that electronic cigarettes can save lives, and urged them to learn more about the subject. I then called Governor Schwarzenegger's office and told them that I was a constituent who wanted him to veto the bill for all of the same reasons (and thankfully he did veto it!). I do believe e-cigs can save lives (as we all do), and this belief has definitely ignited a passion in me to spread the word and defend the right to vape! They have not only turned me into an activist, but an ambassador, a preacher, an expert witness, and a salesman. Talk about changing my life!
Viv Savage
Volcano God

Re: Volcano Writing Contest - ENDED

Postby Johnny Lava » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Great contest. Loved reading everyone's essay's. Congrats to all the winners :).
Johnny Lava
Volcano God

Postby Jazzie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:46 pm

arclight wrote:
I have noticed my taste coming back, I can take longer drags and my home and car no longer have the stench of old smoke. I do believe that the ecigs will prolong my life, keep me satisfied in my nic habit, and save me money. I am also happy that I have been able to turn on other to this great product, especially family members! ;) For all of that, I cannot thank you guys enough!

Thanks Team!!! You guys are the best!!

Looks like you made it into the 7...congrats Cuz!! Can't wait to be the first on my block with a pass-through :D
Jazzie
Volcano Legend

Postby Viv Savage » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:54 pm

I always appreciate reading everyone's personal stories as well, and I am always grateful to you for sharing them. As we all become advocates of electronic cigarettes, we can't have enough testimonials to share with others who are curious about vaping. As we learn more about each other, it enables us to then tell others in similar situations that "Yes, I know someone...

...whose asthma improved after switching to e-cigs"
...who is an athlete and a smoker and was able to breathe better using e-cigs"
...who tried Chantix, but found better success with e-cigs"
...who completely quit nicotine and still finds complete satisfaction in vaping"

etc., etc. Friends and strangers will ask us these questions, and the more stories we know, the more answers we'll have! :D

Thanks for the contest, Thelvyn & Johnny! Happy New Year! :mrgreen:
Viv Savage
Volcano God

Postby Pyroclastic Ash » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:48 pm

I completely spaced making an official winners list, haha.
But they know who they are already.

The winners are:
    Jazzie
    DoubleC
    kprimas
    HTHUTCH
    The Frogstar
    arclight
    Viv Savage

Congratulations you lucky 7. You will soon be the proud owners of your very own Volcano pass through.
Pyroclastic Ash
Volcano Legend

Postby The Frogstar » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:02 pm

woo!
The Frogstar
Volcano Ali'i

Postby Arclight » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:25 pm

*happy dance*

YAY!
Arclight
Volcano Legend

Postby DoubleC » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:27 pm

Thank you - And I look forward to any new ;) products you have coming out in the near future.
Who said Ohio does not have Volcanoes?
If you are from Ohio, add this to your signature and represent!
DoubleC
Volcano God

PreviousNext

Return to Volcano Quick Contests