It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:13 am

Wattage, Ohm, chart for LavaTube...

Share your knowledge! No questions in this section please.

Re: Wattage, Ohm, chart for LavaTube...

Postby timb » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:14 pm

nitrojuga wrote:
timb wrote:The spec for the 1.5 ohm dual coil is wrong. You should be calculating it at 3 ohms, since on a 1.5 DCC each coil is 3 ohms run in parallel.

Always double the rated ohms on a dual coil when calculating your wattage for variable voltage.

No you shouldn't... The combined resistance of two 3 ohm coils is 1.5 ohms. Don't believe me? Test the resistance with a multi meter.

In a DCC, each atomizer coil is double that of the rated ohms. Because they are connected in parallel, the measurement is half that of each coil's individual rating.

So, on a 1.5 ohm DCC, each coil is actually 3 ohms. If you set voltage for the 1.5 ohm rating, the equivalent vapor output will be that of a single 3.0 ohm atomizer. If you want to take advantage of having two coils and get more vapor, you need to set voltage for the individual coil's ohm rating. :geek:
timb
Volcano Menehune

Postby nitrojuga » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:33 pm

timb wrote:
nitrojuga wrote:
timb wrote:The spec for the 1.5 ohm dual coil is wrong. You should be calculating it at 3 ohms, since on a 1.5 DCC each coil is 3 ohms run in parallel.

Always double the rated ohms on a dual coil when calculating your wattage for variable voltage.

No you shouldn't... The combined resistance of two 3 ohm coils is 1.5 ohms. Don't believe me? Test the resistance with a multi meter.

In a DCC, each atomizer coil is double that of the rated ohms. Because they are connected in parallel, the measurement is half that of each coil's individual rating.

So, on a 1.5 ohm DCC, each coil is actually 3 ohms. If you set voltage for the 1.5 ohm rating, the equivalent vapor output will be that of a single 3.0 ohm atomizer. If you want to take advantage of having two coils and get more vapor, you need to set voltage for the individual coil's ohm rating. :geek:

I understand what you're saying, but the wattage is still about the same on a 1.5 ohm single coil as compared to a dual coil ( I believe the dual coils draw a tad bit more power), though the heat generated is dissipated over 2 coils making a weaker vape.
nitrojuga
Volcano God

Postby timb » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:09 pm

Wiring a tester in-line to a 1.5Ω DCC and setting my LT at 4.6 volts is showing 1.3 amps. If (P = V * I) then (4.6 * 1.3 = 5.98) which is 6 watts. If it was only pulling 1.5Ω then I should be seeing 12 watts. :ugeek:
timb
Volcano Menehune

Postby Shado » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:07 pm

timb wrote:Wiring a tester in-line to a 1.5Ω DCC and setting my LT at 4.6 volts is showing 1.3 amps. If (P = V * I) then (4.6 * 1.3 = 5.98) which is 6 watts. If it was only pulling 1.5Ω then I should be seeing 12 watts. :ugeek:

Not sure what kind of tester or how you have it set up....but you HAVE to go by total effective resistance.

What you are displaying above is true...sorta. Just so we dont confuse others, lets clarify what is happening.

The 6 watts and 1.3 amps you you have calculated is what is going through EACH coil....for a total of 12 watts and 2.6 amps respectively.
Now to even clarify even more.....the numbers you have provided in fact show the ohms of each coil to be 3.538 (If indeed quality control is in effect) or 1.77 ohms total.

The 1.77 ohms is what is seen by the PV's circuit board, then it is caclulating if it needs to adjust the voltage of not to be within the specs programmed within.
Whatever ohm atty you attach and set a voltage to it....the total wattage WILL BE SPLIT between the 2 coils....no way around that.

It sounds like what you are trying to say is this....if you want to vape at 12 watts then you need to set the LT to 9.2 volts (based on your numbers above) and this....is NOT going to happen.

...just an fyi....my qualifications for the chart and info within...come as a licensed electrician with 30+ years experience in the field and office. ;)
- Dave - ...LAL...;)

~~NO Trolls ALLOWED!!!~~ ....Just move on down the road....

What the hell is a "Toot"? ~davej
I think it is the noise coming from Shado's Vape Train!! ~hnkjay
The Vape Train to Shado Zen!!!
Shado
Volcano Legend

Postby timb » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:57 pm

You're contradicting yourself. You say the total going through EACH COIL is 6 watts, which would make twelve watts total. But then you say I'd have to set it at 9.2 volts to get 12 watts. Which is it?

I didn't test each coil, I tested the carto's connection itself with the LT set at 4.6 volts. My Fluke meter showed 1.3 amps being pulled. Which would mean it *has* to be producing 6 watts. If it was actually a total of 1.5 Ohms resistance, it would be putting out around 13 watts.

My best friend who's an electrical engineer agrees that this is correct.

I can test this in reverse if you want by setting a Kick or Darwin to 6 watts and seeing how many volts/amps it pulls.
timb
Volcano Menehune

Postby nitrojuga » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:43 pm

timb wrote:You're contradicting yourself. You say the total going through EACH COIL is 6 watts, which would make twelve watts total. But then you say I'd have to set it at 9.2 volts to get 12 watts. Which is it?

I didn't test each coil, I tested the carto's connection itself with the LT set at 4.6 volts. My Fluke meter showed 1.3 amps being pulled. Which would mean it *has* to be producing 6 watts. If it was actually a total of 1.5 Ohms resistance, it would be putting out around 13 watts.

My best friend who's an electrical engineer agrees that this is correct.

I can test this in reverse if you want by setting a Kick or Darwin to 6 watts and seeing how many volts/amps it pulls.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it. I think you're using a 3ohm cartomizer. Skimming over your calculations lead me to believe that. If it came from volcano, it's a single coil. Since you said test it with a Darwin, I did!
3ohm single coil carto at six watts gives me similar readings to what you've been posting.
1.6 ohm genesis atomizer at 4.6 volts.

Notice how it's pulling way more amps than your setup with the 1.6 ohm atomizer at 4.6 volts? And how much higher the wattage is?
nitrojuga
Volcano God

Postby Shado » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:05 am

No....there is no contradicting happening.

Re-read your posts....that is all I was going on. You said my specs on chart were wrong, and on a DCC you have to set volts according to the single coil reading......and I was correcting you.

I further used your numbers to explain more what you were seeing, and trying to calculate.
The 12 watt and 9.2 volt example was based on your 1.3 amp calcs....since the LT had a 2.5 amp limit....I was tryin to show you that what you were tryin to say would allow the higher options, which was impossible.

And yes Nitro...that is what is happening....reading a single coil carto.
It makes even more sense for your readings because you said you didnt test each coil....well....you wouldnt be able to do that without tearing the DCC apart.....and agian, you HAVE to go by total resistance.

No getting around Ohms Law, Kirchoff's Law....
- Dave - ...LAL...;)

Shado
Volcano Legend

Postby timb » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Each coil in a DCC is 3.0 ohms. Shado isn't understanding my point I think.

All I'm saying is to treat a DCC at double the rated ohms. There are many posts on other forums and web pages confirming this.
timb
Volcano Menehune

Postby nitrojuga » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:51 am

timb wrote:Each coil in a DCC is 3.0 ohms. Shado isn't understanding my point I think.

All I'm saying is to treat a DCC at double the rated ohms. There are many posts on other forums and web pages confirming this.

I think he understands your point just fine. I understand it as well. But your numbers don't agree with what you're saying. Treating a dual coil 1.5ohm cartomizer as a single coil 3 ohm isn't for everyone. I view it more like having two 3ohm atomizers in your mouth at once. Most people around here enjoy the 1.5 ohm DCCs on an Inferno(with the pulsing 4.2 volts, it evens out at about 3.7v). Shado's chart wasn't made to please everyone specifically, just what the majority preferred. Just because you don't like where the grey area was on his chart for personal preferences doesn't mean that it's wrong, it's just an opinion.
nitrojuga
Volcano God

Postby Shado » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:32 am

No... I understand what you are trying to say.

But there is no getting around the laws of electricity.

A DCC carto is listed at the rated ohms for a reason.....or they would say 3.0ohm instead of 1.5.
But wait....there is a 3.0 DCC on the market.....yet suprise, it has 2 - 6.0 ohm coils in it.....now this one, you can set your volts as you would a 3.0 single coil...and it would not affect the amp limits of the PV.

In all the years I have been vaping, and the many other forums I frequent and follow.....your statement is the 1st time it has been said...in a factual manner.
Every other question, advice, explaination in regards to DCC carto and issue with them, are given the same answer from other veterans in the vaping community.

There are many threads with vapers griping about not being able to vape at higher voltages preferred...and the same answer as to why it isnt allowed follows suit.
This is why all mod makers have been reprogramming their boards to allow a higher amp limit. Because they do understand the laws they are bound to

I cant clarify it anymore...facts are facts.

I dont know what else to tell you......
- Dave - ...LAL...;)

Shado
Volcano Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Tricks